The annual Concerto Competition produced by the Fairbanks Symphony Orchestra and generously sponsored by Great Northwest, Inc. will be held in Davis Concert Hall on January 21st and 22nd, 2017. This annual event affords outstanding young musicians the opportunity to perform in concert with the Fairbanks Symphony Orchestra. A panel of two adjudicators will choose the winner in each category.
This competition is for local musicians only. You must reside in the city of Fairbanks (or live within a 50 mile radius) to participate in this competition.
Competition Rules & Information for the 2017 Concerto Competition
All applications for the competition must be filed online at the Fairbanks Symphony website. Deadline to receive applications is 11:59 pm on January 6, 2017.
Competitors will perform one movement from a concerto (vocalists – one aria). Exceptions made for through-composed pieces. Orchestral parts must be available to rent or purchase. Please check with the Fairbanks Symphony Librarian email@example.com to confirm parts are available. A partial list of approved pieces is available here: Concerto Competition Repertoire List
New This Year:
There are now only three age categories, as compared to four categories in past competitions. Past winners of the competition may compete again in their same age category following a one-year break from the competition. No longer will a past winner be moved up to compete in the next age category. Participants may only compete in their age category.
Concerto Competition Schedule
Saturday, January 21, 2017 at 1:00 pm in the Davis Concert Hall
Category A: 12 years and under. Competitors must not be older than 12 on the date of the competition.
Category B: 13 years through High School Senior. Competitors must be at least 13 on the date of the competition and must not have graduated high school.
Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 1:00 pm in the Davis Concert Hall
Category C: UAF (any degree seeking student/not just music degrees)
- Winners must be available to rehearse with the Fairbanks Symphony during the regular Tuesday night and concert weekend rehearsals following the competition. Rehearsal schedule is available here.
- Winners will perform their winning concerto with the Fairbanks Symphony Orchestra on Sunday, February 19, 2017 in the Charles W. Davis Concert Hall.
- Only online Concerto Competition Application forms will be accepted.
- $40 Application Fee is Non Refundable. Online applications must be submitted and received by 11:59pm January 6, 2017. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Contestants must check with the Fairbanks Symphony Librarian to determine the availability of orchestral parts prior to submitting their entry. Failure to comply may result in disqualification. Librarian Jim Spontak can be reached at 907-474-5734 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click the link for a partial list of pre-approved competition pieces. Concerto Competition Repertoire List
- If your piece is not on the indicated list, please call the FSO librarian at 474-5734. Please call the Fairbanks Symphony Office at 474-5733 with any questions regarding the competition.
- Keep in mind that you will need to deliver two copies of your music to the FSO office before the deadline. They may be hand delivered (see a map) or they may be mailed to the Fairbanks Symphony office at PO Box 82104, Fairbanks, AK 99708.
- The competition schedule is subject to change depending on the number of entries.